WELNET® curriculum software is a secure system for the collection of student fitness and health information for the use in developing standards-based physical education, health education and physical activity programs. WELNET® is owned and operated by Focused Fitness. The following security measures and policies have been put in place to ensure that all information in WELNET® is secure and only accessible by authorized users. (updated 1/31/2017)
- Information/Data in WELNET®:
WELNET® is a software system used by teachers and students to understand the health and fitness of students. We collect and store information that makes the system more useful to students and teachers as well as data entered by teachers and students. We collect information in the following ways:
- School districts provide roster information to set up classes in WELNET® to include: school, teacher, class, period as well as student name, age, gender, date of birth and ID number.
- Teachers and students can enter data regarding fitness measurements, behavior logs, assessments, surveys, rubrics and online classes.
- Device and browser information to support security measures and to ensure WELNET® is working on a variety of devices.
- System usage to ensure the highest reliability and service levels.
- Use of information:
WELNET® uses data in a variety of ways to facilitate the use of the system by teachers and students. The data is used in the following ways:
- For teachers to have access to the latest class roster information in order to deliver content aligned to national and state standards
- For students, to have a record of their personal fitness and health portfolio
- For administrators to run aggregated reports on educational activities
- For Focused Fitness, to improve the performance of WELNET® and resolve support issues
- At no time, is data from WELNET® shared or sold to third party vendors or other outside entities.
- Security Measures:
- At all times, Focused Fitness will protect the data by using industry standard intrusion detection technology, and monitor the data using trained Internet security specialists.
- Focused Fitness will protect the data with a firewall that is configured with an intrusion detection system that monitors the Internet segment and can immediately shut down ports that are being attacked.
- Focused Fitness will generate and regularly review logs to determine unauthorized activities relating to the data.
- All Internet access to the data is accomplished via SSL (Secure Socket Layer) Version 3 or a successor version thereto, which must provide an encrypted session over the Internet.
- Accessibility of Data:
- The data stored in WELNET® is only available to authorized users. Students only have access to their personal portfolio that includes fitness measurements, goal setting, assessments and behavior logs (activity, nutrition and sleep). Teachers have access to the information of students who are currently enrolled in their classes. District designated program administrators have access to class, school and district data.
- Students and Parents can correct data by contacting the child’s teacher. Teachers can correct student portfolio information themselves. Teachers can correct PII information by contacting their District IT administrator.
- Data is aggregated and reports are available to district administrators for the purposes of meeting the requirements of federal grants and for determining the progress in meeting state standards.
- Aggregated data extracted for external evaluators does not contain any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) such as name or birth date.
- Physical access to WELNET® data is restricted. Only authorized employees have access in order to carry out the duties of their position. These employees are under an obligation to treat the data as confidential and to comply with Focused Fitness’s policies in this manner.
- Data Retention:
WELNET ® retains the necessary data for teachers, administrators and students to complete the required educational activities for their classes. PII will be removed when a student has not been in a class for five years. PII data will be removed two years after a student’s senior year. The only PII that is kept is the student ID number and gender. Student ID number is kept so that previous scores can be associated with new scores when a student is in a class after a five year gap. The gender is kept to see if the student met the standards in multiyear longitudinal reports available to administrators.
We will remove all data for a client six months after the client does not renew WELNET®.
- Updates to this policy:
Updates to this policy may occur from time to time as new information becomes available or laws or regulations are enacted to protect student privacy. Any updates to this policy will be posted at https://www.focusedfitness.org/privacy-policy and will be in effect as of the posting date. We will email the Administrator on record for each WELNET® site. In addition, each administrator will need to agree to the policy upon logging into WELNET® the first time after changes occur.
- Contact Us:
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us at:
2426 S Dishman-Mica Road
Spokane, WA 99206